Civic Addressing

Blue Civic Address Signs

What do the numbers on the sign mean?  The bottom number is the road you are living on. The first three digits on the top line, is the road South or East of your property and the final three digits is the actual distance in 10’s of meters that your driveway is from the South or East road.  If you live in a subdivision with one number at the end of your driveway, please ensure you also know the sign that is at the end of the road you live on, plus your individual number.

This number is very important, and Council would like to suggest having everyone write their civic address number down and place it by your home phone, so in the event of an emergency if you need to place a 911 call, you can quickly advise the operator of your civic address number.   Please explain to everyone in your household, what this number means and how important it is in case of an emergency.

Property owners are responsible to immediately notify the Rural Municipality of Dauphin in a numbering sign or post is damaged or missing.  Rural residences and commercial businesses, as well as other other approved locations will be provided with one standard approved civic addressing sign at the entrance to the property.  

The municipality will at least once per calendar year, order rural civic addressing signs for new buildings/properties that have been identified as eligible for a sign, and any signs that have been reported missing or damaged.  Temporary signage will be the responsibility of the property owner.

If you would like to request a sign to be placed on a non-designated site or abandoned farm site, the request must be made in writing and a pre-paid fee of $100.00 must be received prior to the municipality placing the order.  The municipality will complete the installation.  The cost of maintenance and repair shall be the responsibility of the property owner.
For more information on the civic addressing standard please click on the following link: Civic Addressing

Civic Addressing within the Hamlet of Sifton

Residences will be responsible for purchasing their assigned house number, affixing it to the front of the building, or placing it in a visible location that is clearly visible from the street.  If you don't know your civic address or require a civic address number to be assigned please contact the Municipal Office.